I know that school is just around the corner for a lot of you. I’ve even seen on Facebook that some of your kids have started school already! Even though I homeschool my kids (starting in October), I do know how hard it can be to get everyone around the dinner table and enjoying a meal together. As a busy mom myself, I know that we want quick, snappy meals that don’t take long to prepare, but will also nourish our kids.
Am I right, or am I right?
Seeing as how we’ve still got like 5-6 weeks left of summer yet (did I really just say that?)… I’m guessing that those of you who planted gardens are seeing a lot of tomatoes ripen and you’re still enjoying some of the herbs that are growing as well. Even if you didn’t plant a garden, you can still find Roma tomatoes and fresh basil super cheap in the store right now.
With a little advance planning, this dinner can be done in as much time as it takes to cook pasta. I baked my chicken breasts in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, a bit of lemon pepper, and some salt & pepper at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until the juices ran clear, and then chopped it up and stored it in a container in the fridge until I was ready to add it to the pasta. The heat from the pasta reheats the chicken without drying it out. Or, if you’re feeling really snazzy, you could grill the chicken breasts. Whatever you prefer! I usually prefer the easiest method at the time – for me that was baking the chicken.
Not only is this dish filling, and makes a ton of food – hello, leftovers/quick-and-easy dinner for another night! – but it is also beautiful and delicious. You cannot go wrong with something this simple.
Catz in the Kitchen
Juicy tomatoes, fresh basil & garlic, and seasoned chicken breast on top of a bed of capellini pasta make dinner a snap on hectic back to school nights.
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 lbs fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced basil, fresh
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 lb capellini pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Heat water in a large pot to a boil and cook pasta as instructed by the package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup hot pasta water. Drain.
- While the water is heating up, dice tomatoes, reserving juices and place in a medium sized bowl. To the bowl of tomatoes, add garlic, basil, and oil and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss again. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the hot pasta water to the bowl of tomatoes, and stir. Pour pasta in a large bowl with chicken and tomato sauce and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.