First of all, cast no judgement on the imperfection that is my pie crust. As most of you know, pie-making is still relatively new territory for me, and while it may not be the prettiest pie with the most perfectly-fluted edges or wide latticed-strips, it is still a very pretty pie and quite delicious!
So let’s talk rhubarb. You either love it or you hate it. My first introduction to rhubarb was last year when I decided to make a rhubarb cobbler. The recipe turned out perfectly, though I wasn’t a fan. I couldn’t place my finger on what it was that made me shirk my shoulders at it. But I knew that one chance wasn’t enough and that before I decided I didn’t like it for reals, I needed to make a different rhubarb recipe.
I had heard amazing things about rhubarb and strawberry pie, (even though I had never tasted one before. I know, just shameful) and I figured that I should give that pie a whirl – if I didn’t like that, then there was no hope for me.
- Recipe for double-crust pie (9 in)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb (1/4 inch pieces)
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4 1/2 tsp orange marmalade
- 1/4 tsp grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add fruit and toss to coat. Gently stir in orange juice, marmalade, and zest. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a deep-dish 9 inch pie plate with bottom crust; trim excess pie dough. Add the filling.
- Roll out the remaining pie dough; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal, and flute the edges. Cover edges with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and rhubarb is tender. Remove the foil. Cool on a wire rack and store in the refrigerator.
- This pie is delightful warmed up and with a dollop of whipped cream!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.