My dad and step-mom were recently here from Las Vegas. Whenever he comes into town he requests a cheesecake from me. The only requirement? Chocolate. There has to be chocolate! I had no idea my dad was so into chocolate until I started making him cheesecakes several years ago.
I looked for weeks at different recipes I thought I would like to try out, but nothing came to my mind. I finally narrowed it down to two choices for my dad to choose from and this one, won!
Good choice too, because this cheesecake is AWESOME! I don’t know which part my dad liked best, the frosting or the actual cake itself. My favorite part is always the cake part. But he really went nuts over the frosting and couldn’t believe how simple it was!
Since I only get to see my dad about once a year, I’m really glad I have a tradition of making him a cheesecake, something I know he really looks forward too. Of course it helps to have good taste in cheesecake too! LOL :)
Frosted Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
Semi-sweet mini chocolate chips mixed into a creamy cheesecake batter with a velvety chocolate whipped topping on top of a rich chocolate cookie crust.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 55-60 minutes
Total time: 2 hours +
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 cups cream-filled chocolate cookie crumbs
- 6 TB butter, melted
- 3 pkg ( 8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ( 4 ounces) milk chocolate candy bar, chopped
- 2 cups whipped topping, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-inch springform pan. Chill for 15 minutes or until set.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy bar; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Gradually stir in whipped topping. Frost top of cheesecake. Refrigerate leftovers.