This post originally appeared on Catz in May of 2013. It is so wonderful, so luscious, so dark and craveable that with strawberries back in season and Father’s Day around the corner, we just had to remake, reshoot, and reshare it! We hope you enjoy it – we sure did!
You know that scene in Julie & Julia, where Julie had a really rough day at work and she is strolling down the sidewalk and sees that chocolate cream pie and went home and whipped one up? That’s the scene I was thinking about while I made the crust and pie filling. I mean, everything about that pie looks incredible! I just love that movie. It’s been five months since I’ve seen it, so I think I’m due to watch it again. LOL!
While I was making the pie, I had my little sidekick Gracie, sitting across from me at the kitchen counter. Grace wants to be a pastry chef when she gets older so she likes hanging around watching me bake things up. Also, I think she likes licking the spatulas and bowls after I’m done with them. She’s my little taste-tester!
This pie is so decadent and indulgent. While the chocolate filling doesn’t have any strawberry flavoring inside it, the strawberries placed on top of the pie, lend their flavor beautifully, so when you get a bite of the chocolate and strawberry, it is Aaaaamazing! Seriously, you just stop everything you were doing or saying and just focus on the perfection in that one bite!
Seriously, this pie is one luscious showstopper! Go, make it now!
Catz in the Kitchen
Yields 8-10 servings
Dark Chocolate Cream Pie with fresh strawberries! This pie recipe is sweet but not too sweet, with deep cocoa flavor - definitely for the true chocolate lover!
35 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
3 hr, 45 Total Time
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chunks, melted and cooled slightly
- 7-10 fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- For the pie crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and cocoa powder and mix it together with a spoon until the ingredients are incorporated and the crumbles resembles the appearance of wet sand. Pour the crumbs into your pie plate and with the back of a large spoon or your hand, press firmly on the bottom of the plate and up the sides to create the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, in a double boiler, melt the chocolate till smooth and velvety. Set aside to cool slightly. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if using an electric mixer) with whisk attachment, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Remove the the whipping cream from the bowl and transfer to a small bowl and keep cold in the fridge.
- In the same bowl you used for the whipping cream, using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until soft and creamy. Add sugar, vanilla, and melted chocolate, continue beating until completely combined and no traces of cream cheese remain.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese to lighten the mixture. Add the remaining cream into the mixture, folding until completely incorporated.
- Pour the cream mixture into the cooled crust, smoothing the top with a spatula. Arrange strawberries on top of pie.
- Refrigerate the pie until set, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the pie before serving.