This recipe for Chocolate Guinness Cake was originally published here on Catz in March of 2013. We have remade it, and updated the post and photos. It’s still a St. Patrick’s Day favorite here in our home!
Catz In The Kitchen
This Chocolate Guinness Cake is a rich, creamy dessert recipe infused with classic Irish stout. Try it this St. Patrick's Day!
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 cup Guinness (or other dark, stout beer)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter and beer until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla in a medium sized bowl; whisk in the beer mixture. Combine the flour and baking soda in a small bowl; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Remove the sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugar and cream; beat until smooth.
- Remove the cake from the wire rack and place on cake stand and frost the cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.