Every Friday night is pizza night in our house. Friday night comes along and we gather around the coffee table (one of the only nights we eat there) and turn on a family movie while we devour a homemade pizza and a salad. Our pizza fair is pretty routine; we either make Hawaiian, pepperoni & olive, or a sausage and bell pepper pizza. But sometimes, I have leftovers in the fridge that I want to use up and pizza magic is occasionally the result.
Josh and I have a pretty good system down when it comes to our pizza nights. I make the dough or unthaw some I have stashed away in the freezer ahead of time. Josh rolls it out while I prep ingredients and assist. Friday nights, we always work together in the kitchen and we both love it. It’s a fun way to start our weekends.
So, this pizza! I posted a picture of it on Instagram a few weeks ago and as soon as I had a slice, I knew I had to make it again and share it with you. All the ingredients, the shredded chicken, lettuce, cheese, and diced tomato were leftovers from our taco Tuesday night. I had a can of refried beans that Josh had grabbed from the grocery store’s marked down rack and the tri-colored tortilla strips is something I usually have lying around in my pantry. So basically, when it came to this particular pizza, there was zero planning involved which meant there was zero expense.
This pizza is really good you guys. We have gobbled it up both times we’ve made it and I think it’s a new family favorite.
Chicken Taco Pizza
Never had a foot-wide chicken soft taco in pie form? Now’s your chance! This warm, flavorful pizza is a family favorite here in our home!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min (not including cooking chicken in crock pot)
Total time: 25 min
Yield: 8-16 slices
- 1/2 recipe (1 lb) Catz Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Mexican blend)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- Add chicken breast and salsa to a crockpot on low heat. Cook 4-6 hours, then shred chicken breast in salsa.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (with pizza stone inside, if using).
- Roll out pizza dough to 12+ inches, depending on thickness preference. Sprinkle pizza stone with corn meal (or spray pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray, if using) and lay out crust on stone. Place in oven and par bake for about 6 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven, and add refried beans, spreading evenly around crust, leaving a 1/2 – 1 inch gap around the edges.
- Top refried beans with drained chicken mixture and cheese, and return to oven for an additional 6-10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then top with lettuce, tomatoes, and tortilla strips.
- Cut and serve immediately.