This Slow-Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches post originally appeared on Catz early on – maybe 2010 or so – and then we updated the recipe in 2014. Since then, we’ve continued to make the recipe on a very regular basis, so it only seemed right to get it some updated pictures and feature it again, for the first time in almost three years! It truly is one of our main go-to stand-by save-you-when-you’re-too-busy-to-cook recipes!
I have to say, easy and simple meals are some of my favorites to make. This sandwich, happily, is also one of our family’s favorites to eat! It has quickly become one of my in-love’s favorite recipes to throw together, too. While BBQ chicken is a common enough flavor, the addition of the coleslaw adds that *crunch* that a “soft on soft” meal like BBQ chicken on a bun really needs in the texture department.
The chicken, moist, slow-cooked in a sweet, smoky, and tangy barbecue sauce, is perfection on a hamburger bun. I do recommend a good quality bun – the chicken and slaw will make quick work of any bun that isn’t up to the task! You need something sturdy – we usually use a pub-style bun, a sourdough bun of some sort, or even brioche.
One of the reasons I love this dinner is because of how quickly it comes together. It’s about a five minute prep and a ten minute serving time, which means I’m saving time in the kitchen and getting more time to spend with my family at dinner.
This meal will quickly become one of those “saving grace” dinners you’ll have to make over and over again – busy nights don’t always have to mean pizza or fast food, as so many slow-cooker meals prove. It takes a little planning and a little foresight, but you can definitely have something yummy waiting for you and the fam when you get home!
Catz In The Kitchen
Busy nights don't have to equal pizza or fast food - with 15 min, and just a little planning, you can have these yummy slow-cooker BBQ chicken sandwiches!
10 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 cups bagged coleslaw, with dressing
- 4 good quality sesame hamburger buns
- Place chicken in crockpot. In a medium sized bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and liquid smoke together and pour over chicken.
- Cook the chicken and sauce on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return chicken to crockpot and and stir into the sauce.
- In a bowl, combine the coleslaw and dressing. Set aside.
- Lay one half of a hamburger bun on a plate. Using a slotted spoon remove some of the bbq chicken, letting the excess sauce drip through the spoon. Place a helping on the bottom bun, top with 1-2 tablespoons of slaw. Cover with the top bun. Serve with fries.