This Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato Chicken Chili recipe is warm, hearty, and filling. It’s easy to throw in the slow cooker and have ready at dinnertime!
This is the time of year that chili just begs to be made! It’s been a few months since I posted a chili recipe so I felt you were overdue.
After Thanksgiving, my mother-in-love made this chili one evening for us. It was a really cold night, I believe it was raining (typical Oregon weather), and my family was just getting over a weird little virus. This Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato Chicken Chili was what the doctor ordered, let me tell you!
Ever since I had it back in November, I’ve been drooling for it. There is something about beans, potatoes, and chicken that is addicting and makes me want to just sit in front of the TV and stuff my face with this good stuff! But I would never do that. #OhyesIwould
Now that I’m sitting here writing this post, I’m completely regretting the fact that I sent my hubby to work with leftovers. What was I thinking with the beans, potatoes, and chicken? It’s a good thing this chili is an easy one to throw together, and it’s a good thing the crockpot does all the work for me, otherwise I might be grouchy and a tad resentful that the hubby got the leftovers. Next time, I get the leftovers and he get the pb&j sandwich.
On second thought, I’ll just make more, so then we both get the leftovers.
Catz in the Kitchen
10 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, not drained
- 1 (15 oz can) pinto beans, not drained
- 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into 1 inch chunks.
- Place the chicken in the crockpot. Layer in the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, veggies, garlic, and seasoning and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred the chicken with two forks. Return the chicken to the crockpot and stir the chili to combine everything. Serve with all your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Nutrition information does not include toppings.