Josh and I were driving around on Saturday when we passed a huge white tent setup in a parking lot. At first I was confused. Then it dawned on my that the 4th of July was only a week and a half away! How did this happen? I feel like I just got done celebrating Father’s Day and here it is the 4th of July already!
They don’t tell you that once you start having kids, time has a way of disappearing. I mean, one minute I’m 19 years old and walking down the aisle to kiss my man and say,”I do” and the next minute, I’m 29 years old with three kids! When did that happen???
Anyways, remember that homemade graham cracker pie crust I posted yesterday? Well, you can use that crust on this recipe! That’s right-no need to go buy yourself one of those premade things. Just make your own.
Let me caution you though…I had to make my pie crust twice the other day, because I didn’t let my blue jello layer thicken up enough, so when I poured it into my crust, it destroyed my crust and it became a sog fest! Let me tell you, it wasn’t pretty and I wasn’t too happy to redo everything all over again. But, that’s just how easy that crust was to put together! I had it made again in minutes!
So when you go to layer in your blue jello layer, make sure it’s thickened…but not so much that it looks like the broken up pieces of jello. There is a video on the Kraft Foods Website where you can watch them assemble this pie…take a gander at it and pay attention to the consistency of the blue jello. I promise, it will help a ton!
JELL-O Red, White, and Blue Patriotic Pie
Sourced from Kraft Recipes
An easy, no-bake pie that screams Red, White, and Blue
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Total Time : 2 hours and 35 minutes
1 9 in homemade graham cracker pie crust or store bought
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 pkg (3 oz.) JELL-O berry blue flavor gelatin
1 cup ice cubes, divided
1 pkg (3 oz.) JELL-O strawberry flavor gelatin
1 cup thawed, cool whip whipped topping
Blueberries and sliced strawberries for decorating (optional)
- Prepare homemade pie crust as directed and allow to cool. Or use a store bought one.
- Boil 3/4 cup water pour into a bowl and stir in blue gelatin mix. Stir for 2 minutes, until dissolved. Add in ice cubes and continue to stir until cubes are melted. Carefully pour into pie crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove pie plate from fridge and carefully spread cool whip on top of blue Jell-o layer. Set pie plate in freezer.
- While the pie plate is in the freezer, boil 3/4 cup water, pour into a bowl and stir in the strawberry gelatin mix. Stir for 2 minutes until dissolved. Add in ice cubes and continue to stir until melted. Remove pie plate from freezer and carefully, spoon in the strawberry gelatin forming a top layer.
- Decorate with blueberries and strawberries. Return pie to fridge and keep cold for 2 hours or until firm.