1. I finally walked into Sephora over the weekend. I stayed in the store for a grand total of five minutes before leaving over makeup intimidation. Next time, I’m going to go in and purchase a few things that I did see and want.
2. Speaking about beauty products, I’ve found something amazing that I’m sure the rest of the planet already is aware of…COCONUT OIL! But I don’t use it for cooking. For the last two weeks, an hour or two before bed, I slather myself in this magic oil and I’ve noticed such a difference in my skin. It is so much softer. I do use my usual lotion in the morning, but the coconut oil is a life-changer. I just love it.
3. Josh and I went to see Phantom of the Opera on Friday night and it was amazing. Seriously, I never get tired of going to the theater. One of these years we’re going to get a subscription to one of our favorite performing arts center.
4. During the warmer months, I tend to blow-dry my hair less and let my natural wave play out a bit. I’ve been using this spray for a few years now and I love it. I just spray and scrunch my hair and it stays all day long! I’m sure there are better products out there, but I’m on a budget and I love this.
5. I went to American Eagle the other day and I scored this top and this one and a pair of shorts on clearance and I hardly spent anything at all. Seriously, if you need summer basics, head to AE and head to the clearance section.
1. So, as Chels mentioned, we were downtown on Friday night to see Phantom. Our plan was to walk from my office to the restaurant, and then to the theater, which is about a mile and a half all in, most of it along the river. That was when sun was in the forecast, of course. When we actually stepped outside the building, it was 50-something and raining. Not great walking weather. Cabs are hard to come by in Portland, and there wasn’t a good mass transit option to the restaurant. That’s when I remembered that Uber just launched in Portland! Three minutes later, we were picked up, and seven minutes after that, we were at the restaurant, dry, and only about $6 poorer. I think I’m a fan!
2. We had this insane thunderstorm one night last week. It woke Chels and I up from a sound sleep. Actually, I used to live in southeastern Arizona (the “lightning capital of the world,” or so I was told), and I’ve never heard thunder this loud. It took me a good 30 minutes to get my heart rate back down after being woken up like that, during which time I perused the internet’s many lightning strike maps. Have you seen these? Pretty cool!
3. Ikea’s wireless charging furniture is here! The nerdy side of me is super excited about this.
4. My mouth literally dropped open when I saw this. Apparently, the unbelievably huge Andromeda galaxy would look like this in our night sky (next to the moon) if it wasn’t so dim.
5. I apologize in advance if I’ve shared this before, but it is AMAZING. If you’re a Nolan fan, a Zimmer fan, or just a cinematic scoring fan, this little look at the use of a huge, ancient church organ in England to score the film Interstellar is absolutely mesmerizing. Thanks to Chris Sims for sharing.